Thursday, July 14, 2011

Joyeux Quatorze Juillet, San Francisco!

Bonne Fête! In honor of Bastille Day, I thought I would celebrate two of my favorite things, French Culture and San Francisco, by posting my "Best of San Francisco/Bay Area" à la mode à Paris.

Best Café au lait and Beignets:
Cafe Fanny's (1603 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley)

Best Pâtisserie:
Patisserie Philippe (655 Townsend Street, SF)

Best Cozy French Brunch:
La Note (2377 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley)
*NOTE: You must try the lavender honey. It is divine!

Best Ham & Cheese Croissant:
Pan de Mie (335 Kearny Street, SF)

Best French Home Accessories & Decor:
French Nest (500 San Anselmo, San Anselmo)

Best Michelin Star French Restaurant:
Fleur de Lys (777 Sutter Street, SF)
*NOTE: Don't forget to leave room for the soufflé. Its perfection.

My Favorite
French Restaurant:
Chez Panisse (1517 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley)
*NOTE: Ask for a tour of the kitchen to fully gain an appreciation for the local food movement and Alice Waters' vision.

Best "VIP" Bastille Day Celebration in SF:
French Tuesdays

My Favorite French Travel Blog:
My Little Paris:
What's new and happening in Paris


Best French Art Exhibit of the Past Year:"Impressionist Paris: City of Lights" @ The Legion of Honor - Visitors to the exhibition were transported to Impressionist Paris as represented in over 180 prints, drawings, photographs and paintings from the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco and several distinguished private collections. This exhibit explored various aspects of life in and around the city in which the masters of impressionist art came of age.

(PHOTO CREDIT: Peter Dubreuil, Eléphantaisie, 1908)

I am sure I can think of some more fun categories, but the list is making me hungry and a bit homesick for San Francisco. So I am off to celebrate by trying to find a ham & cheese croissant in Boston. Enjoy! And... Vive la France!

No comments: