Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Tale of Two Artist

Recently, I have discovered two local west coast based oil painters that I admire and thought I should share. The first artist is Amanda Blake. Recently my friend saw a couple of her pieces at a gallery in Texas and forwarded me a link to her oil painting, "Rebecca Wore a Dress of Wildflowers." (Image to the left.) I instantly loved the piece and ordered a print to frame and hang in my flat. Doing some research, I found that Amanda lives in Portland, OR. Inspired by religious and literary symbolism, art history, superstition and found photography she works to create narratives that are at once familiar and mysterious. I love how each peace tells a story. You can check out more of her work at her blog: http://amandablakeart.blogspot.com/

The second artist, Leon Roulette, has many of his beautiful oil paintings scattered amongst the vineyards of Napa.
I fell in love with the painting, "Poppies in Sunshine," displayed at the Rutherford Hills Tasting Room a couple of years ago (image below.) and have been admiring his work ever since. His oil paintings are so realistic at times, sometimes you wonder if you are looking a photograph. Although he doesn't have a persona website, it appears that he has been teaching art in the West Coast for many years and his romantic styles are perfect for the Napa Vineyard settings.

No comments: